At its inception in 1902, the Port Hedland Handicap had a prize purse of 35 sovereigns, and was won by “Bluff”, owned by Mr A. Wilding, by a margin of 6 lengths.

The Port Hedland Handicap was the feature race of the Port Hedland Annual Race Meet from 1902-1935, and was renamed to the “Port Hedland Cup” from 1936 onwards. It was first run over a distance of one and a quarter miles (2000 metres) in 1902, although the distance has fluctuated up and down throughout the years (the present-day distance is 2200m).